Help | 1-800-236-3877 | Live Chat
Shopping Cart

Silhouette Cameo 3 Blade Chuck Tool (And How to Remove the Bluetooth Dongle)

If you just got a Silhouette Cameo 3, you're probably wondering what the small, white, plastic piece does.  Let me tell you allll about it...
The Silhouette Cameo 3 Blade Chuck and how to remove the Bluetooth dongle.

Each Cameo 3 comes with a baggie which contains the self adjusting blade, a cross cutter and then this little white plastic piece with holes in it.  What is it?  Silhouette does not have an official name for it, but it has a few uses and one is to adjust the blades, so I am calling it the blade chuck.  Let's take a closer look at it's uses.

The blade chuck can reset the self adjusting blade to zero. The smoother of the two holes will fit the self adjusting blade.  Just press down and you'll reset the blade:

blade chuck self adjusting blade

It can also be used to adjust a ratchet blade (which does not come stock with the machine) by using the second hole with the nubs.  Place the chuck over the top of the blade (line up the arrow) and then twist to the desired blade depth:

blade chuck ratchet bladeFinally the teeth at the bottom of the tool are to remove the Bluetooth dongle from the Cameo 3.  Each Cameo 3 machine (US) comes with built in Bluetooth.  To find the dongle, you'll need to flip your machine over at take a look at the bottom:

bluetooth cameo 3

Before removing your dongle, make sure you TURN YOUR MACHINE OFF.  Once the machine is turned off, you can remove the small screw with a Phillips screw driver:

how to remove bluetooth from cameo3

After removing the screw, you'll see the dongle inside the machine:

bluetooth dongle silhouette cameo3

It's not impossible to remove the dongle without the chuck, but it makes it a lot easier to get it out of there.  Just slide the chuck teeth first between the dongle and the machine:

bluetooth dongle removal silhouette cameo 3

and use the chuck to gently work the dongle out:

bluetooth dongle

Why would you want to remove the Bluetooth dongle from your machine?  Just in case it stops working.  Silhouette will have replacement pieces and they say that it's unlikely that it will stop working or that you'll ever need to remove the dongle, but just in case!

To keep from losing your tool, utilize the pull out drawer in front of your machine.  It's large enough to hold both the cross cutter and the blade chuck.  If you lose it (gasp!), no worries!  You can still adjust your blade with the built in blade adjuster on the deck of your machine (it works for both the self adjusting blade and the ratchet blade):

self_adjust_holesRemoving the dongle will be a little more difficult without the chuck, but you should be able to use a flat screwdriver to gently work the dongle out, if needed.

where to find the bluetooth on your silhouette cameo 3 and how to take it out

silhouette-cameo-tutorial

13 thoughts on “Silhouette Cameo 3 Blade Chuck Tool (And How to Remove the Bluetooth Dongle)”

• megan brown

is anyone having trouble with the bluetooth staying connected?

• Kala

The Bluetooth is not functional yet. Silhouette America will need to release Silhouette Studio 4 before the Bluetooth will work. They're expecting to have that released in the fall.

• Deja

I just got my Cameo 3 and have downloaded the new release. My bluetooth does not seem to stay connected after I took the cameo and used it in a different location. When I brought it back home (even though it connected already once before and the second location where it was at)...it does not want to work. Says it's connected on computer but then wants to "try to connect" on the Silhouette studio. HELP Please.

• Kala

Hi Deja,
      The Bluetooth is a function that may not work reliably. They are working on it and it should be fixed when they release Silhouette Studio 4 in the fall.
      Hope this is helpful!
      Kala

• Ginny

When I cut text using the cardstock setting, it cuts fine. However, when I change the same text to vinyl cut, it will not cut the letters on each end of each row. I made sure the guides were not in the way. I have searched everywhere for an answer.

• Kala

Hi Ginny,
      I'm sorry you're having some issues with your machine and cutting. I always find it easier to help with cutting issues if I can see the file and try it out. Can you contact us at service@craft-e-corner.com so I can help you more with this?

Kal

• Soni Frazier

My Cameo 3 had the option of turning on bluetooth so I did - it wouldn't connect and I read everything about it not being functional until V4 comes out - but then when I unpaired it with my laptop the bluetooth option disappeared from my cutting machine - It doesn't even give me an option to turn it on anymore - HELP!!! I'm so frustrated!
    Thanks - Soni

• Teresa

Has SS4 been released yet? I have built in bluetooth and have the same issue as those above. I'm also using a MacBook so wondering if BT only works on PC.

• Kala

SS4 hasn't been released yet. We're still waiting on it! Hopefully it will work soon! I am not sure if it is a PC v Mac issue, or if it is something else. I have a MacBook and the Bluetooth does not work for me, so that might be the issue. Hopefully they will release the updated software and everything will work!

• Wendy

I thought this blade chuck was also to open the blade housing for cleaning?

• Natasha

having a hard time opening the auto blade can you make a youtube and show me how its done. I am use the "blade chuck" smooth side. but cant seem to get it open.

• Judy Dickson

Was having the same issue with the bluetooth, contacted Silhouette and they recommended taking out the dongle and waiting 15 seconds before putting it back in. Have not been able to try it, out of town. Will try when I get back in. Was so excited to use the v4 I used the updated versions that are not fully ready yet. Also haveing problems with saveing as an SVG, it does not save the picture in the file, only the cuts. Hope it all gets fixed with the V4 final update.