Craft Green! Eco Friendly Wine Cork Fridge Magnet Planters for Earth Day
This whole project (including painting with 2 kids) took less than a half hour start to finish! Let me show you how…
I have acquired a collection of wine corks that I knew would come in handy for a project one of these days. These corks are a mushroom shape:
We started making our planters by drilling a hole in the bottom of the cork. I used a 5/8″ paddle bit for this step. When drilling, make sure you have a firm grip on the cork, or use a vice grip if you have one. You may have to change your drill bit size depending on the size of your cork. Don’t have a drill? Pull out a trusty craft knife and carefully hollow it out. LOTS of stuff will come flying out of the cork, so make sure to wear eye protection!
I drilled the entire length of the top part of the cork. Try to keep it center, but if it’s a little off, that’s okay too. Next you’ll want to drill another hole in the side of the cork that you can counter sink your magnet into. I had 10mm magnetic buttons so I drilled a 3/8 inch hole in the side of the cork. You don’t want to drill all the way through into the middle, but drill deep enough so your magnet will be flush with the side of the cork. I used a little hot glue to hold the magnet in place.
Did you know, cork is a sustainable crop? Cork comes from the bark of Cork Oak trees. Every 2 years, the bark is harvested from the tree, which can live up to 200 years! There is a lot of uses for cork, from flooring to insulation! If you’re interested in learning more, Wikipedia has a great article with more details.
- Recycle product packaging into your own custom necklaces with Epiphany Crafts
- Give a thrift store serving tray new life with these easy to follow steps
- Used coffee sleeves make great texture on cards, check out this cute bunny card
- With a little paper and some imagination, cereal boxes can be reused to get organized
- Don’t throw away those burnt out light bulbs– reuse them and make unique Christmas ornaments this holiday season